Pixel Dungeon belongs to the roguelike genre of games. One of the conventions of this genre is that character death is permanent and frequent. So don’t worry if you’re dying a lot and haven’t managed to kill the last boss. Unlike an RPG, where competent play will lead to the defeat of the last boss in one playthrough, a roguelike is more like Tetris or Pac-Man, where you’re expected to play many short games and the fun is in seeing what happens before your inevitable death.
Even with ideal play, your results will be heavily based on luck and you will only rarely have a “successful” playthrough.
Game mechanics Edit
Learn the game mechanics so you can easily use them to your advantage.
Forced items Edit
For every special room there is something to open or used to get an item. This tip will help you guess what kind of potion you have in your backpack.
- There is a Potion of Invisibility for each Flooded vault on a floor.
- There is a Potion of Liquid Flame for each Storage on a floor.
- There is a Potion of Levitation for each Room of traps or Chasm room on a floor.
- There is an Iron key for each locked door on a floor.
- There is a Golden key for each locked chest on a floor.
- There is a Golden key for each pair of crystal chests on a floor.
- Buy Potions of Healing first, as these are more beneficial, important and will help you get through the depth and get more gold.
- Buy Seed pouch/Scroll holder second. These are useful as they will give space in your backpack.
- Buy something you need in the moment, like a Scroll of Remove Curse to uncurse an equipped item.
- Buy other potions and scrolls you will need in the future if you have enough gold and you already bought the things in the points before. For example, it helps a lot in later levels to have scrolls of Magic Mapping, potions of Mind Vision and Invisibility.
- Buy Overpriced Food last and if you need it. Overpriced food will only satisfy half of what a normal food ration would give.
Dealing with health and hunger Edit
- You will be hungry/starving for most of the game. Don't worry about it too much.
- Seed of Sungrass is great for healing, even when you are starving.
- Fill up your Dew vial as soon as possible. Even when your vial is full, when you find more Dew Drops don't consume them, remember where they are in case you need to refill your vial.
- When fighting a boss or mob, take in account their max/regular damage and your health. If you know they can K.O. you drink a Potion of Healing .
- Starving takes a while to damage you. Wait a while until your health is near half and eat a piece of food or wait until your health is low and drink a Potion of Healing (but be cautious).
- Warriors heal 5hp when they eat, so you can starve down that much more before eating. If you eat at full health you will lose this benefit.
- Hold down the wait icon to enable sleep mode. Your hero will gain health faster, but will wake up if any mobs are nearby or if your hero becomes starved.
- Try to find a safe spot to sleep in, such as a garden room or nearby the staircase.
- Chargrilled meat, frozen carpaccio, overpriced food rations and mystery meat will satisfy hunger/starvation for only 35 % of what a normal food ration would satisfy.
- You can throw an item to open the door of a Flooded vault, then you can use a ranged weapon to kill giant piranhas safely. Each one will always drop one mystery meat.
- If you stand on water and are in a situation where you don’t have to worry about the Rooted or the Slowed debuff (not in combat or escaping), the mystery meat only has a 1/5 chance of doing damage to your hero by applying the Poisoned debuff.
- The most efficient way to use the Mystery meat is by saving all of it until you finish an area where there are mobs who give the meat (the sewers and the caves), then find a patch with the necessary amount of grass tiles, throw the meat on them and set fire to it. This way you will cook all the Mystery meat with one single Liquid Flame potion or Firebloom seed.
- If you have a Wand of Firebolt you can use its charges to cook Mystery meat whenever you want.
Testing out items and traps Edit
- To test out potions, stand on a tile with water to prevent fire and near a door to escape poisonous gas. If you have not identified the potion of healing by the first shop, then the type of potion that has the highest amount for sale is almost always the healing potion. Buy them all cheaply before using one if possible. Be careful of location, health and hunger when the paralytic gas potion hasn’t been identified.
- Test out scrolls on a previous depth you’ve already went through to avoid using the Scroll of Challenge or Teleportation in a depth you haven’t completed when your armor/weapon is weak for the level or health is low. Test them when first entering a new depth to gain the advantage of possible scrolls of mapping, mind vision and mirror if you can deal with being challenged or teleported. You may want to wait until you have both an item you would like to identify and one you want to upgrade before testing any scrolls. You may want to try to avoid using any until you reach the first shop so you can buy all available scrolls cheaply (unidentified scrolls are 150 gold, a bargain.) Boss depths [5, 10, 15, & 20; and the Shop depth - 21] before & after fights, are also a good time to test scrolls once the common ones have been identified as Mirror Image, Terror, Lullaby and Psionic Blast can be useful and you may never get more than one per game of some.
- Traps will not be on tiles with grass, water, stains, rubble, wood, or doors.
- If you zap a Wand of Regrowth straight down a hallway or even through a room, grass will grow on all the regular floor tiles the energy ball passes over. If grass does not sprout on a floor tile, you can know that tile is a trap, and you can search the tile to see what kind of trap it is, then disarm it if it’s in a hall or go around it if it’s in a room.
- Throw any item on a trap (besides potions and scrolls) to trigger it from a safe distance.
- Throw mystery meat on a flame trap to cook it into chargrilled meat. You can cook two in each trap.
- If you notice that there’s a trap beneath an unopened chest, don’t open the chest first; toss an expendable item first to trigger the trap, then open the chest. That way, if the chest happens to contain a scroll & the trap happens to be a flame trap, your scroll won’t burn (the chest protects it from burning).
Dealing with enemies Edit
- Take out enemies one by one in narrow corridors or behind a door.
- If playing as a rogue assassin, lure enemies into doorways and attack to deal high amounts of damage.
- Use a Wand of Amok on enemies. This will make them attack other mobs nearby.
- If an enemy with a long-range attack spots you, run behind a door so they can’t use their long range attacks.
- If you aren’t close enough to a door or are closer to the enemy, use a Wand of Blink or go towards the enemy to close the distance between you and them.
- Avoid trying to fight Giant Piranhas as they are very strong. It is much better to use the potion of invisibility that spawns on the same floor as them.
- Clicking the ‘?’ button and then clicking on an enemy will show their description and health. For animated statues, this will also show the weapon they are wielding, which is useful to decide wether or not to fight them.
- When dealing with Fetid rat avoid the paralytic gas by retreating a block,then hitting,retreat,hit. by this you move away from the gas then land a hit. This works best when in a corridor.
- There will NEVER be a hidden door on the first depth of the dungeon.
- Zoom out to see if the depth looks completed, it will always be a square. (Note: as of version 1.6.3 this is no longer true.)
- Rooms of traps, flooded vaults, storage rooms, gardens and all locked rooms always have only one door, so don’t bother searching them.
- Clicking the search button will let you search the area around you (3x3) for traps and hidden doors. The Scroll of Magic Mapping does this for the whole level as well as revealing the layout
- Wearing a Ring of Detection increases the radius and likelihood of discovering traps and doors without searching and the radius when you actively search.
- Scrolls of Magic Mapping can save you a lot of time/hunger on levels where at the end there are multiple areas you think may have hidden doors.
Farming Potions of Healing Edit
- If you find you encounter a swarm of flies lure it into a room with open space. Equip your best armor and unequip your weapon and continue hitting it. This will cause more swarms of flies to spawn, increasing the chance of getting a Potion of Healing. Keep in mind that the condition for swarm of flies to spawn another fly is to have an unoccupied tile next to it either horizontally or vertically when being hit. As with bats, if you plan to farm many flies in this fashion, do so at night.
- Another option is farming potions off vampire bats on depth 11, where they are the most numerous. They have less chance to drop a potion, but you will also farm gold from brutes as a by-product. This is best done at night, as more bats will spawn in less time, reducing the time necessary to farm and icreasing the number of potions you can keep (because you will use fewer of them healing your starvation damage).
- Warning: Farming has been nerfed in update 0.5.4: Enemies drop something only if the Hero’s level is up to maxLevel+2. Consequently, Potions of Healing can be farmed on swarm of flies until level 12 (inclusive) only, and on vampire bats until level 17 (inclusive).
- Don’t get annoyed if you die in floors 1-5. These floors are only a “heat-up” floors. Your only mission here is to find suitable armor or weapon, and upgrade it as much as you can, as well as reaching Level 6. Avoid testing your scrolls until you find good weapon or armor. Equipping too heavy weapons will slow you, allowing enemies to take more than one hit on you, and you will most likely miss all the time. Potential exception of this missing are the Marsupial Rats, they can help you identify your new weapon. Equipping too heavy armors is good tactic as it actually protects you despite the lost turns, so you can equip these in case of crabs or skeletons and them reequip your old armor back. If you manage to kill Goo and survive, consider your playthrough successful and then be sure to upgrade your armor so you can use it.
- Wraiths can be a serious problem if you don’t know how to kill them. Before you touch the grave for searching items, try to move the player near to statues or walls. Wraiths will be spawned only on free platforms around you, in most cases you can decrease their number at least to 3. Mages have advantage for fighting wraiths, because of Magic Missile wand, every shot will kill one wraith. If you don’t have any wand there is still an easy way to kill them, just kite a Wraith through a door, and while they are in the doorway, attack it (The first hit on a mob that is in a door counts as a “surprise attack” and has a 100 % hit rate). Wraiths can also be killed with a Potion of Liquid Flame or Potion of Toxic Gas, scrolls of Psionic Blast, or a Lullaby scroll with an immediate sneak attack. If desperate, place a Seed of Firebloom in a doorway or on trampled grass. Any Wraith caught on a flaming square will be killed. Just remember that they float over placed seeds, so you will have to trigger the seed yourself.
- When playing the Rogue, hold the Curare Dart as a melee weapon; this will cause very low damage (0-4) but will cause stun 100 % of the time. Very good for getting through the Prison and Mining Caves. Damage is typically too low for the Dwarf City, but can still be used against enemies on these levels to some degree. This method is especially good when used by assassin because hitting stunned enemies is counted as surprise attack. Since update 0.5.4, this tactic won’t work because one Curare Dart will get destroyed with each successful attack.
- Wielding Curare Dart as a melee weapon works exceptionally well for the Sniper-Huntress, as she can attack by alternating between the dart and the boomerang. The boomerang usually has pathetic damage but it is still better than damage of the dart, and can be upgraded. Remember, though, that the King of Dwarves and his minions are all immune to paralysis so be sure to bring a powerful melee weapon for that fight. Since update 0.5.4, this tactic won’t work because one Curare Dart will get destroyed with each successful attack.
- Using the Huntress Cloak’s Spectral Blades ability, and reading the scrolls of Psionic Blast, Terror, & Lullaby, after drinking the Potion of Mind vision, will affect all enemies within your field of view/all enemies currently on that depth.
How to kill bosses easily Edit
- A good and easy way to kill bosses is by using the curare dart, Potion of Frost/Paralytic Gas on them. Then the player is able to fight them using wands, range weapons or potions.
- With Goo, plant a Seed of Sungrass/Seed of Earthroot by the door, and a Seed of Firebloom on the door, then fight him there. Fire will do the killing for you. With the others, just throw a Potion of Liquid Flame and it will do the trick. Seeds are mostly overlooked.
- Another good boss tactic that works with Goo, Tengu and DM-300 is to find a weapon with Stunning enchantment. You can risk upgrading it 1-2 times, however past that, it is better to upgrade it with the Scroll of Weapon Upgrade to avoid losing your enchantment.
- The Stunning enchantment allows you to deal high amounts of damage to bosses, as they will be paralyzed most of the time, even with a low damage weapon.
- The Rogue class is able to wield missile weapons as melee weapons; use this in combination with the Curare Dart to apply the Stunning condition to bosses 100 % of the time. WARNING: since update 0.5.4, using missile weapons as melee will decrease their quantity as well.
- On all bosses (with the exception of DM-300) using a Potion of Toxic Gas in combination with a Potion of Invisibility will aid in the fight tremendously. Provided, of course, you stay out of the gases range.
- When fighting Goo, DM-300, or Yog-Dzewa, plant a Seed of Earthroot and step on the plant. This will decrease the damage of the boss dramatically down to
0 — 7damage. Doing this against Tengu only works if the player has sufficient distance weapons or wands to do battle without a melee weapon.
- Using a Potion of Toxic Gas on Tengu is generally not advised, as the room you fight him in is too small to escape the poison without a Potion of Purification.
- A Scroll of Mirror Image is very powerful against all bosses except DM-300 (his poison gas will usually defeat the mirrors before they can do damage). When fighting the King of Dwarves, it is best to use the scroll early, allowing your images to hit the King instead of skeletons.
- The Scroll of Psionic Blast blinding effect seems inefficient against Tengu (who still hits you with distance weapons). However, this scroll is great to use against a King of Dwarves who has summoned many skeletons, and the scroll can do surprising amounts of damage, though this is inconsistent.
- Since update 0.5.4, Potion of Purification will grant a temporary gas immunity when drunk. This makes it valuable for fighting DM-300. Against other bosses, one can first drink such a potion and then throw a Toxic Gas potion. The gas will damage boss (and his minions if he has any) but won’t cause harm to the player. Be warned though, as the purification effect is shorter than the toxic gas effect!