Pixel Dungeon belongs to the roguelike genre of games. One of the conventions of this genre is that character death is permanent and frequent. So don't worry if you're dying a lot and haven't managed to kill the last boss. Unlike an RPG, where competent play will lead to the defeat of the last boss in one playthrough, a roguelike is more like Tetris or Pac-Man, where you're expected to play many short games and the fun is in seeing what happens before your inevitable death.
Even with ideal play, your results will be heavily based on luck and you will only rarely have a "successful" playthrough.
Game mechanisms Edit
Use the game mechanisms to your advantage.
Forced items Edit
For every special room there is something to open or used to get an item. This tip will help you guess what kind of potion you have in your backpack.
- There is a Potion of Invisibility for each Flooded vault on a floor.
- There is a Potion of Liquid Flame for each Storage on a floor.
- There is a Potion of Levitation for each Room of traps on a floor.
- There is an Iron key for each locked door on a floor.
- There is a Golden key for each locked chest on a floor.
- There is a Golden key for each pair of crystal chests on a floor.
- Buy Potions of Healing first, as these are more beneficial and will help you get through the depth and get more gold.
- Buy Seed Pouch/Scroll Holder second. These are useful as they will give space in your backpack.
- Buy other potions third. If you got enough money you might as well buy them.
- Buy Overpriced Food last. Overpriced food will only satisfy half of what a normal food ration would give.
Dealing with health and hunger Edit
- Starving takes a while to damage you. Wait a while until your health is near half and eat a piece of food or wait until your health is low and drink a Potion of Healing (but be cautious).
- Hold down the wait icon to enable sleep mode. Your hero will gain health faster, but will wake up if any mobs are nearby or if your hero becomes starved.
- Try to find a safe spot to sleep in, such as a garden room or nearby the staircase.
- When fighting a boss or mob, take in account their max/regular damage and your health. If you know they can K.O. you drink a Potion of Healing .
- Chargrilled meat, Overpriced food rations, and mystery meat will satisfy hunger/starvation for only 35% of what a normal food ration would satisfy.
- If you have a way to destroy a door (flaming potion/seed, wand of disintegration) and a ranged weapon, you can kill piranhas safely. Each will drop one mystery meat.
Testing out items and traps Edit
- To test out potions, stand on a tile with water to prevent fire and near a door to escape poisonous gas. If you have not identified the potion of healing by the first shop, then the type of potion that has the highest amount for sale is almost always the healing potion. Buy them all cheaply before using one if possible. Be careful of location, health and hunger when the paralytic gas potion hasn't been identified.
- Test out scrolls on a previous depth you've already went through to avoid using the Scroll of Challenge or Teleportation in a depth you haven't completed when your armor/weapon is weak for the level or health is low. Test them when first entering a new depth to gain the advantage of possible scrolls of mapping, mind vision and mirror if you can deal with being "Challenged" or teleported. You may want to wait until you have both an item you would like to identify and one you want to upgrade before testing any scrolls. You may want to try to avoid using any until you reach the first shop so you can buy all available scrolls cheaply(unidentified scrolls are 150g, a bargain.) Boss fights are also a good time to test scrolls once the common ones have been identified as Mirror Image, Terror, Lullaby and Psionic Blast can be useful and you may never get more than one per game of some.
- Traps will not be on tiles with grass, water, stains, rubble, wood, or doors.
- If you zap a Wand of Regrowth straight down a hallway or even through a room, grass will grow on all the regular floor tiles the energy ball passes over. If grass does not sprout on a floor tile, you can know that tile is a trap, and you can search the tile to see what kind of trap it is, then disarm it if it's in a hall or go around it if it's in a room.
- Throw any item on a trap (besides potions and scrolls) to trigger it from a safe distance.
- Throw mystery meat on a flame trap to cook it into chargrilled meat. You can cook two in each trap.
Dealing with enemies Edit
- Take out enemies one by one in narrow corridors or behind a door.
- If playing as a rogue assassin, lure enemies into doorways and attack to deal high amounts of damage.
- Use a Wand of Amok on enemies. This will make them attack other mobs nearby.
- If an enemy with a long-rage attack spots you, run behind a door so they can't use their long range attacks.
- If you aren't close enough to a door or are closer to the enemy, use a Wand of Blink or go towards the enemy to close the distance between you and them.
- Avoid trying to fight Giant Piranhas as they are very strong. It is much better to use the potion of invisibility that spawns on the same floor as them.
- Clicking the '?' button and then clicking on an enemy will show their description and health. For animated statues, this will also show the weapon they are wielding, which is useful to decide wether or not to fight them.
- There will NEVER be a hidden door on the first depth of the dungeon.
- Zoom out to see if the depth looks completed.
- Rooms of traps, flooded vaults , storage rooms , gardens and all locked rooms always have only one door, so don't bother searching them.
- Clicking the search button will let you search the area around you (3x3) for traps and hidden doors. The Scroll of Magic Mapping does this for the whole level as well as revealing the layout
- Wearing a Ring of Detection increases the radius and likelyhood of discovering traps and doors without searching and the radius when you actively search.
- Scrolls of Magic Mapping can save you a lot of time/hunger on levels where at the end there are multiple areas you think may have hidden doors.
Farming Potions of Healing Edit
- If you find you encounter a swarm of flies lure it into a room with open space. Equip your best armor and unequip your weapon and continue hitting it. This will cause more swarms of flies to spawn, increasing the chance of getting a Potion of Healing.
- Another option is farming potions off vampire bats on depth 11, where they are the most numerous. They have less chance to drop a potion, but you will also farm gold from brutes as a by-product.
- Warning: Farming has been nerfed in update 0.5.4: Enemies drop something only if the Hero’s level is up to maxLevel+2. Consequently, Potions of Healing can be farmed on swarm of flies until level 12 only, and on vampire bats until level 17.
- Don't get annoyed if you die in floors 1-5. These floors are only a "heat-up" floors. Your only mission here is to find suitable armor or weapon, and upgrade it as much as you can, as well as reaching Level 6. Avoid testing your scrolls until you find good weapon or armor. Equipping too heavy weapons will slow you, allowing enemies to take more than one hit on you, and you will most likely miss all the time. Potential exception of this missing are the Marsupial Rats, they can help you identify your new weapon. Equipping too heavy armors is good tactic as it actually protects you despite that lost turns, so you can equip these in case of crabs or skeletons and them reequip your old armor back. If you manage to kill Goo and survive, consider your playthrough successful and then be sure to upgrade your armor so you can use it.
- Wraiths can be a serious problem if you dont know how to kill them. Before you touch the grave for searching items, try to move the player near to statues or walls. Wraiths will be spawned only on free platforms around you, in most cases you can decrease their number at least to 3. Mages have advantage for fighting wraiths, because of Magic Missile wand, every shot will kill one wraith. If you don't have any wand there is still an easy way to kill them, just kite a Wraith through a door, and while they are in the doorway, attack it (The first hit on a mob that is in a door counts as a "surprise attack" and has a 100% hit rate).
- When playing the Rogue, hold the Curare Dart as a melee weapon; this will cause very low damage (0-4) but will cause stun 100% of the time. Very good for getting through the Prison and Mining Caves. Damage is typically too low for the Dwarf City, but can still be used against enemies on these levels to some degree. This method is especially good when used by assasin because hitting stunned enemies is counted as surprise attack. Since update 0.5.4, this tactic won't work because one Curare Dart will get destroyed with each successful attack.
- Wielding Curare Dart as a melee weapon works exceptionally well for the Sniper-Huntress, as she can attack by alternating between the dart and the boomerang. The boomerang usually has pathetic damage but it is still better than damage of the dart, and can be upgraded. Remember, though, that the King of Dwarves and his minions are all immune to paralysis so be sure to bring a powerful melee weapon for that fight. Since update 0.5.4, this tactic won't work because one Curare Dart will get destroyed with each successful attack.
How to kill bosses easily Edit
- A good and easy way to kill bosses are by using a curare dart, potion of frost/paralytical gas on them. Then the player is able to fight them using wands, range weapons or potions.
- With Goo, plant a seed of sungrass on the door then fight him there. Fire will do the killing for you. With the others just throw a potion of liquid flame and it will do the trick. Seeds are mostly overlooked.
- Another good boss tactics that works with Goo, Tengu and DM-300 is to find a weapon with Stunning enchantment. You can risk upgrading it 1-2 times, however past that, it is better to upgrade it with the Scroll of Weapon Upgrade to avoid losing your enchantment.
- The Stunning enchantment allows you to deal high amount of damage to bosses as they will be paralysed in most of the time, even with a low damage weapon.
- The Rogue class is able to wield missile weapons as melee weapons; use this in combination with the Curare Dart to apply the Stunning condition to bosses 100% of the time.
- On all bosses (with the exception of DM-300) using a potion of toxic gas in combination with either a potion of invisibility or potion of paralysis will aid in the fight tremendously. Provided, of course, you stay out of the gases range.
- When fighting Goo, DM-300, or Yog-Dzewa, plant an earthroot seed and step on the plant. This will decrease the damage of the boss dramatically down to 0-7 damage.
- Since update 0.5.4, potion of Purification will grant a temporary gas immunity when drunk. One can first drink such a potion and then drop a Toxic Gas potion. The gas will damage boss (and his minions if he has any) but won't cause harm to the player. Be warned though, as purification protection effect lasts shorter than the toxic gas effect!