|Spawns in||Fetid rat quest|
|Walk speed||1 tile per turn|
|On damage||Releases 20 units of paralytic gas|
|Attack delay||1 turn per attack|
|On hit||Nothing special|
| Max level|
| 30 for XP|
32 for drop
|Drops|| Giant rat skull (always)
|This marsupial rat is much larger, than a regular one. It is surrounded by a foul cloud.|
The Fetid rat attacks on sight.
- This rat carries paralytic gas around it. Remaining next to the rat for more than one turn will result in you becoming paralyzed and the Rat slaying you. This makes it tricky to fight him with melee weapons.
- Use ranged weapons, wands, Potions of Liquid Flame, or throw Seed of Firebloom and/or Seed of Sorrowmoss in front of the Rat to dispatch him from long range. But the Rat appears so early in the game that you often won't have these things.
- To fight him with melee weapons, always let the Rat move toward you. Don't move toward it into its cloud. When it moves next to you, attack it once and back away so the cloud doesn't engulf you.
- Its Paralytic Gas spreads from it cardinally (up, down, left, and right; not diagonally). If it doesn't move, the gas spreads again to include the diagonal spaces.
- If it moves toward you so you are directly next to it, you can take one action and then you must back away or the cloud will expand over you.
- If the Rat moves toward you so you are diagonally next to it, you have two actions before you must back away.
- Spears are slow weapons, so each attack takes more than one action; this limits the number of attacks you can make before the gas spreads. Knuckledusters and Maces are fast weapons, so you may be able to get extra attacks. Rings of Haste (or cursed Rings of Haste) would also affect this.
- Hit it and back away until it is dead. The gas will linger for a few turns, so don't rush in and grab the Skull, or you may get paralyzed and slain by another enemy.
- The Fetid Rat's Paralytic Gas can also paralyze enemies.
- If you lure a Fetid Rat into a chasm, he will not drop a rat skull. However, there will be a cloud of Paralytic Gas in the chasm space where he died.
|1.6.1||ADDED to the game|